Introduction

Share your Memories of TGS School Days
Add your School Photographs and other Memorabilia to the Image Archive
Find your Classmates among "Classes" or "Sports" in the Image Archive
Help to complete the record of "School Trips" or "Plays and Musicals"


SIGNING UP TO THE MESSAGE BOARD

To follow the estab
lished blog at this new site, click on "Join this site" below this message.
If you do not already have a Google account (with a gmail address), you will be prompted to create one, and get your own personal web page. Your user name will be good for anything that Google owns, including Blogger, Youtube, Picasa, Google Plus, and lots of other things. One password covers all.

Thursday 4 February 2010

Thorne Colliery

At last we have a memorial to all the miners who worked at Thorne Colliery, in whatever capacity.

When I heard about it just before Christmas, I went to find it. I didn't have to look very far! You will all know where the Welfare grounds are.....and the rec. We all must have spent hours there during our childhood, and in many cases as adults playing football and cricket and a bowling green. There was once a thriving tennis club, and a nine hole golf pitch and putt course. happy memories.

I found it just inside the main entrance next to the pit lane. Half of one of the pit wheels which have been stored at Hatfield main, is sunk into a cement base. It stands proud, and in front of it, again set into the base is a marble plaque, with the inscription as follows.

                       TO COMMEMORATE
                                   THE CENTENARY OF THE OPENING
                                       OF THORNE COLLIERY IN 1909
                                             AND IN REMEMBRANCE
                                       OF ALL WHO WORKED THERE

I have taken some photos, which I had hoped to display in this thread, but I haven't mastered it yet, so I will be uploading them in the Thorne & District photos thread. Please keep any comments in this thread for members who wish to say anything about the memorial, or anything relating to the pit.

Some photos are now on page 4 in the Thorne and District site, at the bottom. If you zoom in they are very clear. It was a very bright, clear, and very cold day.

5 comments:

  1. Have any of you seen the photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a look. Pretty good for now, and even more meaningful 50 and 100 yrs on.
    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's simple, but that's all it needs......and hopefully will still be meaningful in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The miners memorial was erected thanks to my sister, Mrs P Richardson and other members of Thorne Council. My sister still lives in the house where I was borne in Moorends. my dad was a shot-firer then deputy at the pit in Moorends. I remember in the 1950,s going to the pit head to wait for him coming out of the mine, still in his muck...there were no showers in those days. The baths and showers were installed in the late 50,s. The sarcastic teachers at Thorne used to ask me if we miners kept our coal in the bath. I left TGS in June after taking my "O" levels because of the prejudice against miners, and started work at the pit-top. It was horrible so I went back to TGS in September .I worked very hard, and eventually became a Fellow of Cambridge University.
    The old winding wheel reminds me of the days when Moorends was a prosperous village. Hard working and hard drinking folks....I'm proud to be a coal miner's son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your sister very well from our days at TGS...and pleased to hear of her involvement in getting a suitable memorial to our fathers and other men who worked at the pit. Must disagree with you, Malcolm, about the pit head baths. They were nstalled when the pit was built. My father started work there as a hewer in 1932 and never came home in his "muck". I was in the first intake ( first 11+ year) when the school no longer had any fee payers and one of our teachers many years later told me the staff were very concerned about what they were facing with this large influx of miners' kids and in the event were very agreeably surprised. He fondly remembers our years at TGS as" the golden years". Perhaps it was different in your day. I can remember being very indignant when the Head thought it was necessary to show us how to use our cutlery properly at the dining table. perhaps he thought we ate out of the bath as well as kept the coal in it??? Other than that I can't say I experienced any prejudice . In fact quite the opposite I think they were relieved to havea whole intake of bright students to teach for a change who were eager to work.
    When you see your sister again ask her what she used to do to my bike tyres !!!!

    ReplyDelete